Steve

What are you currently reading?

6 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I'm reading Kings of Ash and Blood of an Exile. The latter was a debut novel a couple of years a go (first book in the Dragons of Terra trilogy, which is now completed) and I really like it so far!

How far into Kings of Ash are you?

Excited Kristen Wiig GIF by Saturday Night Live

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

2 hours ago, Crystal Rhew Staley said:

I’ve got a few things on the go:

Flesh Rehearsal by Brian Bowyer

Seasons Creepings by Ronald Kelly 

House of Chains by Steven Erikson

4879AFE4-18D3-45AF-A397-C1D32ADE18B2.jpeg

How are you liking Flesh Rehearsal?

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

5 hours ago, Crystal Rhew Staley said:

Going to try to finish this one up today. Some mixed feelings so far….

A2C11D33-5333-4AF3-8EE6-D1181D9E26B8.jpeg

Ooooo!  I've been wanting to read that one.  Let us know what your thoughts are when you're done

Steve IRL

Watched the anime way back when. Was surprised to find this wasn’t a Manga, but a regular book. Enjoying it so far. Takes place in a future Dark Ages. Also reminds me of Solomon Kane. But he’s a Vampire.

And yea I know it’s cliche. I like fantasy, so of course I’m reading The Lord of the Rings. I reread it every year or so. Usually during the winter. A couple BookTubers are reading it so I’m starting it early this year.

BBA4F343-06E4-45D2-BB56-3709925335F8.jpeg

A7F32A66-23FF-43C4-849A-3B07A59CB4E6.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Stacyejaye said:

I started The Winter King last week. It is the story of King Arthur and it is the first book in a trilogy. It supposed to be historical fiction, but it reads like fantasy.

PXL_20211222_032821008.PORTRAIT.jpg

Ooooooo, I’ve heard good things about that one.

Starting Stone and Shield for our meetup next week

7B3CFE11-170F-4D0D-A983-F91956046B37.jpeg

Steve IRL

On 12/31/2021 at 2:49 PM, Lasraik said:

Ooooo!  I've been wanting to read that one.  Let us know what your thoughts are when you're done

I really enjoyed it! There was only one of the six novellas that I was a bit meh about.  The rest were great.

2 hours ago, Crystal Rhew Staley said:

I really enjoyed it! There was only one of the six novellas that I was a bit meh about.  The rest were great.

5 out of 6 isn't bad.  It's been on my I really would like to read that list for a while

Steve IRL

Started Andrzej Sapkowski's The Last Wish. Really enjoying it so far. It reminds me of Howard's Conan and Solomon Kane stories. But it's original and has it's own style. Also like the short story format in this book.  I usually do my short story reads on Monday's. But I switch up the book and author for those each week. I think I'll stick with a Sunday read for The Last Wish. Still holding off on the show. Saw the first two or three episodes last Summer. Stopped because I wanted to read the first book. It just took me until now to get going on it. Who knows....perhaps I'll start watching it again before I finnist the book.

Finally making progress in Queen of Fire :P It took me a while but I'm halfway through! It's okay, so far my least favorite of the series. I think part of it is that it's not bringing anything new to our characters? Halfway through and character wise nothing of importance happened it seems. I still love the world and the characters in it so because of that I'm having a good time so far, but if someone would ask me what happened I can probably explain with 3 sentences.

Also reading Way of Kings and Best Served Cold! Liking both. Best Served Cold is, so far, amazing. And I'm going back and forth if it's because of Joe Abercrombie or because of the narrator (listening to the audio).

2 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

Finally making progress in Queen of Fire :P It took me a while but I'm halfway through! It's okay, so far my least favorite of the series. I think part of it is that it's not bringing anything new to our characters? Halfway through and character wise nothing of importance happened it seems. I still love the world and the characters in it so because of that I'm having a good time so far, but if someone would ask me what happened I can probably explain with 3 sentences.

Also reading Way of Kings and Best Served Cold! Liking both. Best Served Cold is, so far, amazing. And I'm going back and forth if it's because of Joe Abercrombie or because of the narrator (listening to the audio).

Queen of Fire is the weakest in the series but I was pleased with the end so it helped a little with it being really slow.

I’ll be starting Best Served Cold in a week or two after Dark Seas End, More than a Vampire, Gunmetal Gods and GhostCityGirl 😅

Steve IRL

18 minutes ago, Harfoot Fallohide said:

Found this at the library for $1. Surgery in the1800s was a truly horrifying spectacle.

EE62B911-3877-4CC4-99FB-70183A5A925C.jpeg

A dollar?  What a steal! 

And just think that in hundred years people will say "In 2020's surgery was barbaric!"

Steve IRL