Book Review: Edge of the Breach by Halo Scot by Steve

Read Now

New Blog Post: The Winter Road Review

Read Now
Steve

The Gunslinger Discussion Thread

If you'll be posting spoilers please use the spoiler tag and specify the chapter

It's a little early for the thread, but for those of you reading ahead figured it's better to get the discussion thread started

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Hey everyone!

So I am 46 pages into the book so far and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are of the book so far as they get started. 

My copy of the book has a forward and an intro both written by Stephen King but written years later. He mentions in them that he made a lot of revisions and edits to the book after its publication. He also kind of apologizes for the book and gives a sort of promise that the books get better as the series continues. I wonder if he did this because there are so many people who have this nostalgia associated with the earlier books.

It could also be another hook for those who are uncertain about how they feel about the first book. I'm the kind of person that will only buy the first book of a series and make a decision there whether or not I will continue in a series or not. I think that King made this introduction for people like me who may be uncertain, in the hopes that they would keep going. What makes me hopeful is that this seems to be reinforced by the reviews of the series in total. There seems to be a consensus that the later books are way better than the first few. 

After 46 pages, I'm interested in what's going on, but the writing does seem a bit pretentious. I pride myself in having a good vocabulary and I keep having to look up definitions while reading this 😅

What do you all think?

23 hours ago, Ercy- Circe's Booked said:

Hey everyone!

So I am 46 pages into the book so far and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are of the book so far as they get started. 

My copy of the book has a forward and an intro both written by Stephen King but written years later. He mentions in them that he made a lot of revisions and edits to the book after its publication. He also kind of apologizes for the book and gives a sort of promise that the books get better as the series continues. I wonder if he did this because there are so many people who have this nostalgia associated with the earlier books.

It could also be another hook for those who are uncertain about how they feel about the first book. I'm the kind of person that will only buy the first book of a series and make a decision there whether or not I will continue in a series or not. I think that King made this introduction for people like me who may be uncertain, in the hopes that they would keep going. What makes me hopeful is that this seems to be reinforced by the reviews of the series in total. There seems to be a consensus that the later books are way better than the first few. 

After 46 pages, I'm interested in what's going on, but the writing does seem a bit pretentious. I pride myself in having a good vocabulary and I keep having to look up definitions while reading this 😅

What do you all think?

I felt the same way. If I didn't trust some of the people who have recommended this series, I would not be continuing after The Gunslinger. I felt like it was one very long prologue. I can't say more without spoiling the next 200 pages for you.

Most people who love the series tell me the first book is the worst and to stick with it.  In @Jeff Lane I trust.

Stephen King GIF

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

On 8/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, Stacyejaye said:

I felt the same way. If I didn't trust some of the people who have recommended this series, I would not be continuing after The Gunslinger. I felt like it was one very long prologue. I can't say more without spoiling the next 200 pages for you.

I'm just under halfway through and it definitely feels like lots of setup so far. Glad to be warned that the whole book feels like that.

1 hour ago, MhairiB said:

I'm just under halfway through and it definitely feels like lots of setup so far. Glad to be warned that the whole book feels like that.

Welcome to the forum!  Glad you're coming along for the ride with us

Steve IRL

Just now, Summer (Quaker cats) said:

I’m halfway through my re-read. I disliked this book so much the first time I read it. But as a re-read I’m kind of enjoying it 😆 The 2nd book is my favorite, so just hang in there guys. 

I'm only about 30 pages in but so far it's fine.  Trying to remember this is basically a prologue from what I hear and the worst of the series.  😅

Steve IRL

@Jeremy Fee pg 67😂 at least in my version.

This book is a reread for me and the first time I read this (in January) I was reading the first edition. This time around I’m reading the 2003 version. WOW! He put so much foreshadowing that was never brought up in the first. Also the first one was written when he was still a kid. I’m pretty sure he started this before he published Carrie. I think both versions are great but the 2003 is definitely more so written in King fashion. With all that said, I’m easy to please🤷🏻‍♀️ And I LOVE this series.

You guys are finishing up book 1 of the Gunslinger?  I'm gonna catch up if so.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.