Jump to content
Stacyejaye

October TBR

Recommended Posts

I am excited for October. I am planning to read a lot of horror and dark fantasy. What are you reading?

My TBR:

Between Two Fires - Christopher Buehlman ✔️

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Kings of Heaven - Richard Nell move to November

The Shining - Stephen King

The Waste Lands - Stephen King

Dark Hollow - John Connolly

Longreave - Daniel Barnett

The Only Good Indians - Stephen Graham Jones

Insomnia - Stephen King ✔️

Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh, creepy TBR Stacey!

 

My TBR might change but for now I have

Kings of Heaven (physical)

House of Leaves (physical)

Parable of the Sower (audio)

Blood of an Exile (audio)

Sword of Kaigen (physical)

Magician (will already start this month - audio)

The House in the Cerulean Sea (if time - audio)

 

I have a bunch of firsts in a series that I REALLY want to read tall physical) but I'm having a hard time picking one. I've seen some people on booktube make a video out of it (Chris Bookish Cauldron is where I saw it). They pick X books they are interested in, read the first chapter of each and then give a little bit of an explanation of why they chose one specific book to continue with. I think I'll do that if I still have some space at the end of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I have a bunch of firsts in a series that I REALLY want to read tall physical) but I'm having a hard time picking one. I've seen some people on booktube make a video out of it (Chris Bookish Cauldron is where I saw it). They pick X books they are interested in, read the first chapter of each and then give a little bit of an explanation of why they chose one specific book to continue with. I think I'll do that if I still have some space at the end of the month.

I have seen similar videos. They are fun to watch, you should do it! Even if you can't get to the book this month, you could put it on your TBR for November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My October TBR:

The Waste Lands - Stephen King

Only The Stain Remains - Ross Jeffrey

Birthday Treat - Anthony Self

Sin Eater - Mike Shel

Between Two Fires - Christopher Beuhlman

Shade - Chad Nicholas 

Dracula - Bram Stoker

House of Leaves - 

Kings of Heaven - Richard Nell (re read)

Whistling Past the Graveyard - Lex Jones

Peel Back and See - Mike Thorn

 

 


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a big one but here goes:

The Shining- Stephen King ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Doctor Sleep-Stephen King ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Scratches- Joshua Marsella ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Severed- Joshua Marsella

Wastelands- Stephen King ☠️☠️☠️☠️

Dracula- Bram Stoker ☠️ ☠️☠️☠️

House of Leaves- Mark C. Danielewski

Mexican Gothic- Silvia Moreno-Garcia ☠️☠️☠️☠️

Crossroads- Laurel High Tower

Longreave- Daniel Barnett

Shade- Chad Nicholas (DNF)

Witch Please- Ann Aguire ☠️☠️

The Last Wish- Andrzej Sapkowski ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Unloved - Katy Regnery ☠️☠️☠️☠️

And hopefully by some miracle I want to get to Royal Assassin- Robin Hobb

I was able to read 11 books in September and since a lot of these are short reads I think I might be able to do it. We shall see!


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2021 at 7:40 PM, Stacyejaye said:

I am excited for October. I am planning to read a lot of horror and dark fantasy. What are you reading?

My TBR:

Between Two Fires - Christopher Buehlman

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Kings of Heaven - Richard Nell move to November

The Shining - Stephen King

The Waste Lands - Stephen King

Shade - Chad Nicholas

Longreave - Daniel Barnett

The Only Good Indians - Stephen Graham Jones

Insomnia - Stephen King

Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia

So excited to have a buddy for Mexican Gothic!!


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2021 at 12:09 AM, Jolien Reads said:

Ooh, creepy TBR Stacey!

 

My TBR might change but for now I have

Kings of Heaven (physical)

House of Leaves (physical)

Parable of the Sower (audio)

Blood of an Exile (audio)

Sword of Kaigen (physical)

Magician (will already start this month - audio)

The House in the Cerulean Sea (if time - audio)

 

I have a bunch of firsts in a series that I REALLY want to read tall physical) but I'm having a hard time picking one. I've seen some people on booktube make a video out of it (Chris Bookish Cauldron is where I saw it). They pick X books they are interested in, read the first chapter of each and then give a little bit of an explanation of why they chose one specific book to continue with. I think I'll do that if I still have some space at the end of the month.

I just finished Sword of Kaigen and it was awesome!! I can't wait to chat about it!


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stacyejaye said:

@Ashley/ReadNowSleepLtr and @Lasraik

I want to have some backup horror stories for October. Preferably short (less than 350pages). Please send me your recommendations. TIA!

I was thinking if I need a back up horror story, I will try to read My Heart is a Chainsaw. That's horror right?!


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrandieNoel said:

I was thinking if I need a back up horror story, I will try to read My Heart is a Chainsaw. That's horror right?!

Yes, it is horror, and that's a good one to put on my list. I am going to read The Only Good Indians by that author at the beginning of the month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stacyejaye said:

@Ashley/ReadNowSleepLtr and @Lasraik

I want to have some backup horror stories for October. Preferably short (less than 350pages). Please send me your recommendations. TIA!

Reading Only The Stains Remain this month, it has a whopping 136 pages!  Having Ross Jeffrey on a Friday Conversation so reading it before then

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Stains-Remain-Ross-Jeffery/dp/B099FZ287G


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stacyejaye said:

@Ashley/ReadNowSleepLtr and @Lasraik

I want to have some backup horror stories for October. Preferably short (less than 350pages). Please send me your recommendations. TIA!

Ring Shout by P. Djèlí Clark 185 pg

Rolling In the Deep by Mira Grant 123 

Reincarnate by Patrick Querney 244

The Ruins by Scott Smith 319

Through the Woods by Emily Carrol (208 Graphic Novel) 

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

How I learned to Fly by R.L. Stine 144

The Bell Witch: The Full Account by Pat Fitzhugh (non fiction but still scary)

 

Some that are on my tbr

The Tent by Kealan Patrick Burke 134

A Walk in a Darker Wood: An Anthology of Folk Horror 293

Sentinel by Drew Starling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's mine:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Sword of Kaigen by M. L. Wang (I'm glad this got moved to October!)

Water Sleeps by Glen Cook (Black Company #9)

Civil War by Julius Caesar

A Tryst of Fate by Piers Anthony (Xanth #45) (assuming the release date holds)

The Stranger by Albert Camus

Dulci's Legacy by Margaret Pinard

Riverwind the Plainsman by Paul B. Thompson & Tonya R. Carter (Dragonlance: Preludes #4)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John (Hey Y'all Listen Up) said:

Here's mine:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Sword of Kaigen by M. L. Wang (I'm glad this got moved to October!)

Water Sleeps by Glen Cook (Black Company #9)

Civil War by Julius Caesar

A Tryst of Fate by Piers Anthony (Xanth #45) (assuming the release date holds)

The Stranger by Albert Camus

Dulci's Legacy by Margaret Pinard

Riverwind the Plainsman by Paul B. Thompson & Tonya R. Carter (Dragonlance: Preludes #4)

 

Oh man, didn’t realize there were so many Black Company books, I thought it was 3 or 4


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Oh man, didn’t realize there were so many Black Company books, I thought it was 3 or 4

There's 10 in the main series.  He later wrote an 11th called Port of Shadows that takes place between the 1st and 2nd books.  The reaction to it has been mixed and currently it's not part of Slowly Red's readalong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2021 at 9:38 AM, Lasraik said:

My October TBR:

The Waste Lands - Stephen King

Only The Stain Remains - Ross Jeffrey

Birthday Treat - Anthony Self

Sin Eater - Mike Shel

Between Two Fires - Christopher Beuhlman

Shade - Chad Nicholas 

Dracula - Bram Stoker

House of Leaves - 

Kings of Heaven - Richard Nell (re read)

Whistling Past the Graveyard - Lex Jones

Peel Back and See - Mike Thorn

 

 

Oooh, I want to read Birthday Treat!


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ashley/ReadNowSleepLtr said:

Reincarnate by Patrick Querney 244

I have this downloaded on my kindle! 

15 hours ago, Ashley/ReadNowSleepLtr said:

Some that are on my tbr

The Tent by Kealan Patrick Burke 134

I think if I read this one, I will never go camping again. 🏕️😰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, BrandieNoel said:

It's a big one but here goes:

The Shining- Stephen King

Doctor Sleep-Stephen King

Scratches- Joshua Marsella

Severed- Joshua Marsella

Wastelands- Stephen King

Dracula- Bram Stoker

House of Leaves- Mark C. Danielewski

Mexican Gothic- Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Crossroads- Laurel High Tower

Longreave- Daniel Barnett

Shade- Chad Nicholas

Witch Please- Ann Aguire

The Last Wish- Andrzej Sapkowski

Unloved - Katy Regnery

And hopefully by some miracle I want to get to Royal Assassin- Robin Hobb

I was able to read 11 books in September and since a lot of these are short reads I think I might be able to do it. We shall see!

You are ambitious! Which ones of these are romance? I might add one to my TBR

I feel good about my tbr, but only because I already read one and I'm 50% through a second. You can call me a cheater, I prefer to think of myself as an overachiever 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stacyejaye said:

You are ambitious! Which ones of these are romance? I might add one to my TBR

I feel good about my tbr, but only because I already read one and I'm 50% through a second. You can call me a cheater, I prefer to think of myself as an overachiever 😜

Just Witch Please and Unloved. I heard Mexican Gothic is a little too. But depending how scared I get, I may have to sprinkle in a little more love.


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My October tbr:

The Toll - Neal Schusterman

Cress - Marissa Meyer

Fairest - Marissa Meyer

Small Spaces - Katherine Arden

I Have No Secrets - Penny Joelson

Dracula - Bram Stoker

The Night Circus - Erin Mortensen

The Bright and the Pale - Jessica Rubinkowski

I am 20% into Dracula and I NEED to talk to someone about it.


Danielle

My links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bookchara said:

My October tbr:

The Toll - Neal Schusterman

Cress - Marissa Meyer

Fairest - Marissa Meyer

Small Spaces - Katherine Arden

I Have No Secrets - Penny Joelson

Dracula - Bram Stoker

The Night Circus - Erin Mortensen

The Bright and the Pale - Jessica Rubinkowski

I am 20% into Dracula and I NEED to talk to someone about it.

Yay!! I'm so glad you are reading Dracula!! I listened on audible as a read, they have a version that is an audible exclusive so it's included. . I may have mentioned that already haha, but I just really liked it!

Here is our meetup for the Dracula discussion:

 


Brandie

Currently Reading:

Lady of the Lake

The Wreckage of Us

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bookchara said:

My October tbr:

The Toll - Neal Schusterman

Cress - Marissa Meyer

Fairest - Marissa Meyer

Small Spaces - Katherine Arden

I Have No Secrets - Penny Joelson

Dracula - Bram Stoker

The Night Circus - Erin Mortensen

The Bright and the Pale - Jessica Rubinkowski

I am 20% into Dracula and I NEED to talk to someone about it.

I reread that last year and I just sat there thinking… how did I not have nightmares as a kid…

 

&&& the way the story is formatted 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...