Steve

Soooo, we probably have COVID

Some of our kids friends visited last week like they do every once in a great while.  Stayed for a little bit and left.

On Sunday they called and told us their other daughter who lives with them and traveled recently tested positive for COVID and they were all feeling symptoms.  They aren't vaccinated.

On Monday our family started feeling symptoms in the afternoon.  Fatigue, sore throat.  What used to be called a light cold.  I had Tuesday off already for my conversation with Noel Zamot so I didn't go to work anyway but at work we are required to mask up indoors and when we are in a vehicle with anyone else.

This morning (Tuesday) we all were feeling worse, but still cold/flu symptoms.  We started calling around for home tests but everywhere is sold out.  Even urgent care facilities that used to be an hour turn around are all out of tests and are appointment only.  Apparently everyone traveling for the holidays wanted to get tested before and after their trips even if they didn't have symptoms.  So now I have to wait until Thursday morning to get tested and am out all week from work or at least until I feel better.  A cold isn't just a cold that you push through anymore, it can really cause havoc for someone who works in a place like I do that is very strict, understandably so.  We are quarantining at home and taking it easy, staying away from everyone and waiting for the chance to take a test to find out for sure. 

Thankfully it's mild symptoms so far, congestion and the metal fogginess is the worst of it.   Hopefully being vaccinated will help us not experience the worst of it.  It's a bummer having time off of work and I can't even ride my bike.

sick ferris buellers day off GIF

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Sorry to hear that. Hope you guys feel better soon. It sucks that this is still going around. Covid is popping up here and there at my work with people who got the shots. So far those who tested positive are showing mild symptoms. I'm hoping this doesn't hit you guys too hard there and you have a quick recovery.

4 hours ago, John (Hey Y'all Listen Up) said:

Get well soon.  Hopefully it is either a light cold or the vaccine will do its thing.

3 hours ago, Harfoot Fallohide said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you guys feel better soon. It sucks that this is still going around. Covid is popping up here and there at my work with people who got the shots. So far those who tested positive are showing mild symptoms. I'm hoping this doesn't hit you guys too hard there and you have a quick recovery.

Thanks guys. So far it’s been mild.  Everyone I know who’s had it recently have been vaccinated, too.  

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Had a rapid test today and it came back negative.  So maybe we just have a cold.  They said it could take 3-5 days from when you start getting symptoms for the test to come back positive.

Tom Thibodeau What GIF by New York Knicks

Steve IRL

It seems like it hit everywhere! After our NY trip, my daughter and I tested negative, but my husband had like the faintest line on his at home test (which we drove to like 10 different stores to find because, same here in Oregon, no appointments anywhere.) Same here, cold like symptoms, but nothing crazy since my husband and I are vaccinated. 

But what's funny is that with this new CDC guideline, we are out of quarantine already because the period is only 5 days instead of the full 14 days from before. 

We're also taking this time to just chill out with our daughter, play some board games; do some crafts; watch Encanto for like the 20th time. 

But hopefully everyone feels better soon! It's no fun to just be home when you don't feel well. This too shall pass...hopefully. 

12 minutes ago, Ercy- Circe's Booked said:

It seems like it hit everywhere! After our NY trip, my daughter and I tested negative, but my husband had like the faintest line on his at home test (which we drove to like 10 different stores to find because, same here in Oregon, no appointments anywhere.) Same here, cold like symptoms, but nothing crazy since my husband and I are vaccinated. 

But what's funny is that with this new CDC guideline, we are out of quarantine already because the period is only 5 days instead of the full 14 days from before. 

We're also taking this time to just chill out with our daughter, play some board games; do some crafts; watch Encanto for like the 20th time. 

But hopefully everyone feels better soon! It's no fun to just be home when you don't feel well. This too shall pass...hopefully. 

I was thinking about this after my test.  The new guidelines make zero sense.  Let's say you have symptoms and take a test 3 to 5 days after you first have symptoms your test may be negative even if you have COVID.  That means some employers will require you to show up to work and spread it thinking you just have a cold.  Even if I am negative and go back to work I'm spreading a cold around and making those people go get tested and quarantine for no reason.   Now that the quarantine period is 5 days after a positive test I could possibly be out of work for two weeks even if the last 4 days I have no symptoms and not spread it.  I'm confused by this whole thing.

Britney Spears What GIF

Before I grabbed the test this morning I had an appointment set for tomorrow to get tested so I'm going to keep the appointment and see if I come back positive tomorrow. 

Steve IRL

Yea, running into the same problem here.  Started running a fever Sunday night with sinus and sore throat.  I am off on Monday and Tuesday so didn't think it would last past that, but I am still running a fever today.  Work is on my case because I didn't run out first thing Monday morning and get tested.  I mean really what good would getting tested on Monday do if it was the first day.  Friday is the earliest that I have found to get tested and work is just using that to prove that I should have run out first thing Monday since I would have an earlier appointment.  No matter what I can't go in if I am running fever.  The stress from work about testing is almost worse than the sickness.

Also hope your family feels better soon..

2 hours ago, Boag said:

Yea, running into the same problem here.  Started running a fever Sunday night with sinus and sore throat.  I am off on Monday and Tuesday so didn't think it would last past that, but I am still running a fever today.  Work is on my case because I didn't run out first thing Monday morning and get tested.  I mean really what good would getting tested on Monday do if it was the first day.  Friday is the earliest that I have found to get tested and work is just using that to prove that I should have run out first thing Monday since I would have an earlier appointment.  No matter what I can't go in if I am running fever.  The stress from work about testing is almost worse than the sickness.

Also hope your family feels better soon..

I know what you mean, it's like nobody believes you that this is the current situation and we have to wait before we can get a result that is accurate.  You'd figure they'd want to play it safe and you to stay home.

1 hour ago, Crystal Rhew Staley said:

Ugh!!  Hope it stays mild for y’all.  

Thanks Crystal!

Steve IRL

Negative again today.  So guess it's a cold or the tests are useless.  Missing lots of stuff at work so going to rest up today, pound dayquil and try to get some stuff done tomorrow while self quarantining in my office.

Quarantine Isolate GIF by Michael Angelo's Wonderland Beauty Parlor

Steve IRL

Oh no! I hope everyone is feeling better! Covid or not, you're feeling sick and that's never nice. It feels like lately, if it's not covid, it's not serious. You can still be very sick and have a serious cold or the flu. So whatever you have: feel better soon everyone!

On 1/6/2022 at 12:12 PM, Jem said:

I hope Steve and family, Boag, Ercy's husband and everybody else are doing OK and symptoms are easing off.

8 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

Oh no! I hope everyone is feeling better! Covid or not, you're feeling sick and that's never nice. It feels like lately, if it's not covid, it's not serious. You can still be very sick and have a serious cold or the flu. So whatever you have: feel better soon everyone!

Thanks for the well wishes!  I went into work today for a few hours to catch up on stuff (250 emails waiting for me) but left early after I was finished.  The family is a little better but still not well.

@Boag and @Ercy- Circe's Booked how are you all today?

Steve IRL

Everyone is good at my place. I think we're just sick of being in quarantine. Even though we're past the new CDC guideline for quarantine, my husband is still paranoid so we're still stuck home. So while symptoms are good, I think its more the mental health aspect that we're trying to get past. Just trying to stay positive but we're all so sick of this quarantine. 

Glad everyone is feeling a bit better though!

Hopefully you're feeling better in spite of the results.

I'll echo what others have said, it hit around here pretty good.  Daughters school, other schools had to cancel games, gf daughter had a positive test, and staff shortages at work.  New Years was a cluster and didn't do anything.  Was in bed at 12:05.  Everyone I knew was either sick, getting over being sick, or was afraid of getting sick.

Hopefully this wave blows through as quick as it came.

4 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Hopefully you're feeling better in spite of the results.

I'll echo what others have said, it hit around here pretty good.  Daughters school, other schools had to cancel games, gf daughter had a positive test, and staff shortages at work.  New Years was a cluster and didn't do anything.  Was in bed at 12:05.  Everyone I knew was either sick, getting over being sick, or was afraid of getting sick.

Hopefully this wave blows through as quick as it came.

I was preparing myself to go back to work today (Monday) but after I tested positive I think I let myself relax and just be sick.  Went from a light cold to congestion to body aches and scratchy throat.  So hopefully it blows over.  NM is still observing the 10 day quarantine guidelines so I'm out of work until at least Thursday.  If I don't feel good by then I'll take the week. 

Have you had it yet or still been able to avoid it?

Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

Steve IRL

16 minutes ago, Steve said:

Have you had it yet or still been able to avoid it?

I got it around labor day for about 2 weeks.  I had some major head congestion.  Messed with my sleep and it ultimately took me another month to feel normal.  Daughter was sick same time as me.  Luckily nothing significant.

I had it last year, first week of January. Had the headache and body aches for a week. Got a positive result on a Saturday. Started getting symptoms late Sunday. Monday into Tuesday were the worst. Did the 14 day quarentine. Still had post covid side effects of low energy and headaches. That went away around August. Hope you feel better soon.

4 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

I got it around labor day for about 2 weeks.  I had some major head congestion.  Messed with my sleep and it ultimately took me another month to feel normal.  Daughter was sick same time as me.  Luckily nothing significant.

Oh yeah that's right you mentioned that.  I've heard it having lasting effects.  Glad you're better now, though.

3 minutes ago, Harfoot Fallohide said:

I had it last year, first week of January. Had the headache and body aches for a week. Got a positive result on a Saturday. Started getting symptoms late Sunday. Monday into Tuesday were the worst. Did the 14 day quarentine. Still had post covid side effects of low energy and headaches. That went away around August. Hope you feel better soon.

Seems like it lingers.  I was expecting to get it eventually but of course it's my birthday this week so I have to quarantine for it 😒

Steve IRL