Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Does a series have to be complete for you to start it?

Does a series have to be complete for you to start it?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Does a series have to be completed before you start?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Before you start a series, does it matter to you if it's completed or about to be completed?

Spending lots of time reading a series for it to never be finished (ASOIAF, looking at you) can be frustrating.  Do you care if a series is finished before you start it?

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I usually don't care.  I started out reading romances (paranormal specifically), and those are usually ongoing series with over 20 books in them, but I never really paid attention until I got to fantasy and realized there were a few really popular series that hadn't been finished (and probably won't be).  I still read the Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind) before I knew that it was an unfinished series, and I loved them and I loved the characters, so I'm okay with what I have and where I am with any series that isn't finished.  Plus, I'd never be able to figure out what to put on my TBR if I had to find out if it was a series and if it was finished, so maybe my decision is based on some laziness on my part as well! :)

I don't really care. If I have a great time reading the books that are out, I call myself lucky and move on 😅 But I have some finished series on my tbr that I've been reading over multiple years so obviously I'm not someone who HAS to read the entire series in a short periode of time anyway. 

I don't let it keep me from giving something a chance. While waiting for the next book there's plenty of other stuff to read. It can get a bit annoying if one book is left with a major cliff hanger ending, but shit happens, it's still worth the other good aspects of the story.

I also tend to see a lot of books in long series, usually try to keep each book its own story. There's plot threads that reach out and span the series, but each book is also it's own, not leaving too big of a cliff hanger ending. Something I think works well to quell some of the rage people can feel towards a series going unfinished.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

I don't let it keep me from giving something a chance. While waiting for the next book there's plenty of other stuff to read. It can get a bit annoying if one book is left with a major cliff hanger ending, but shit happens, it's still worth the other good aspects of the story.

I also tend to see a lot of books in long series, usually try to keep each book its own story. There's plot threads that reach out and span the series, but each book is also it's own, not leaving too big of a cliff hanger ending. Something I think works well to quell some of the rage people can feel towards a series going unfinished.

I like when a book doesn’t end on a cliff hanger and more of a stand alone feel so if there is a long wait between books or never at all there’s something to hold onto.  The following books still continue the story and the world but won’t be have that cliff hanger feeling

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero