Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Esquires The 50 Best Fantasy Books of All Time

I'm not biting. It's clearly an article intended to squeeze clicks by incense the reader through missing out on dozens, if not hundreds of classic titles and authors' work.

Just thinking on their criteria alone. How objective is "new" and "innovative"?

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

11 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I'm not biting. It's clearly an article intended to squeeze clicks by incense the reader through missing out on dozens, if not hundreds of classic titles and authors' work.

Just thinking on their criteria alone. How objective is "new" and "innovative"?

I've stopped trying to give into click bait because 90% of what's on the internet is click bait 😬

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

The problem with these lists is that they usually select "literary" fantasy in order to appeal to a larger audience. As a fantasy reader, I find it frustrating because it creates an unnecessary barrier for potential readers of the fantasy genre. They will assume that these are the "best 50" books that the genre has to offer. So why bother with anything not on this list. We all know that there are so many incredible books that are missing here. Some that I think deserve to be listed far above most of what is listed here. 

I have only read 9 of the 50 on the list. 

7 hours ago, Stacyejaye said:

The problem with these lists is that they usually select "literary" fantasy in order to appeal to a larger audience. As a fantasy reader, I find it frustrating because it creates an unnecessary barrier for potential readers of the fantasy genre. They will assume that these are the "best 50" books that the genre has to offer. So why bother with anything not on this list. We all know that there are so many incredible books that are missing here. Some that I think deserve to be listed far above most of what is listed here. 

I have only read 9 of the 50 on the list. 

8 more than I!!!

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

On 4/7/2022 at 3:08 AM, Pasanda said:

8 more than I!!!

I've read half of Game of Thrones and that's it.  Do I lose street cred?

Oh, I have Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on my shelf

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

8 hours ago, Steve said:

I've read half of Game of Thrones and that's it.  Do I lose street cred?

Oh, I have Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on my shelf

I actually think this helps your credibility. 

I have read 4 books on that list.  LotR, Earthsea, WoT, GoT.   There is a lot of stuff I have never even heard people mention.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:05 AM, Jolien Reads said:

I don't know if I missed it, but no Robin Hobb? List is invalid.

Amazing books.  The list is crap, she belongs in the top half for sure!

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.