Sign in to follow this  
Steve

The Prince of Nothing Thread

Link to our discussion for Part I

Download here direct or choose your platform of choice

Read Part IV tonight and it's full of goodies. There is a page range that I wanted to tab almost every line.

Page 362

Spoiler

"Nothing deceived so well as the truth"

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Part II

Spoiler

"Age forever transformed hope into resentment"

I don't know how I missed the maneuvering by Xerius on my first read. I don't remember it being so layered. His attempt to create a need for Conphas against the Scylevendi is pretty shrewd. I especially loved the battle Cnaiur was involved in and his survival. The combat in this book was one of the things I remember most from my first read. Straight and to the point, effective without going on and on for pages. The Vulgar Holy War was another brilliant move for him if it works out.

The revenge Cnauir takes was especially brutal, you knew he wouldn't just move on without seeking revenge.

We also discover why the Scarlet Spires are involved in the Holy War and their motivations. They hope to finish the fight against the Cishatarium.  Conphas starts to get a sense of power and success by the end of the section.

Part III

Spoiler

You immediately had a strange feeling about the man who comes to see Esmi to get information from her about Akka. Especially the sound of wings flapping when he leaves, that was a great touch.

The journey Esmi embarks on had me hooked on the page. Getting to know her better, the stories she would get from the men who saw her and using what they've told her to try to warn Akka.

We learn about the Battle of Paremti, that Proyas had Calmenius whipped and that was Calmenius motivation for the Vulgar Holy War. To prevent Proyas from having any kind of glory out of spite. The Emperors plan worked, he's created a need for Conphas.  Seeing Akka interact with Proyas and how other people view him.

Sacellus saves Esmi but he's not what he seems. Start to get a hint when he's referred to as "the thing called Sacellus" 🤔 and the small creature he's with who has wings is the same creature who visited Esmi at the beginning of this section. Threads starting to span out.

Part IV My favorite section so far!

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I had to finish the last bit of part 1, but I'm halfway through part 2 now. I've found reading it has been much better then listening to it on audio like I did for part 1... I will be ready for part2 and it sounds like you will have the whole book finished by then lol

48 minutes ago, drpuffnstuff said:

I had to finish the last bit of part 1, but I'm halfway through part 2 now. I've found reading it has been much better then listening to it on audio like I did for part 1... I will be ready for part2 and it sounds like you will have the whole book finished by then lol

I may have it finished but taking lots of notes and taking pictures of pages that I’ll reference before the podcast discussions each Friday. It’s hard to not keep going 😅

Steve IRL

In part one I was catching up on the last little bit, I was only able to skim through 30or 40 pages before last Friday. I remembered most of it pretty well, but on the reread I found Inrau's little section to be pretty intense. Wish I would have talked more about that in part 1.. and I came across a really good quote that reminded me of why I like the tv show The Boys. One day I will read the comics. I will put it behind a spoiler though I don't really think it is.

Spoiler

And yet he was different. So many cares, and the wages so slight. Different in that his tantrums could sweep away city gates, pulverize flesh, and snap bone. Such power, and yet the same vanities, the same fears, and far  darker whims. He had expected the mythic to raise him up, the exalt his every act, and instead he was set adrift... Detachment enlightened no one, he could turn this ship into a towering inferno, then walk unscathed across the surface of the water, and yet he could never be... certain.

Also I've finished part 2 and I'm going to try to hold off from part 3 until tomorrow. This being a reread its already hard for me to hold the spoilers. I think if more of it becomes to fresh in my mind it will just be invariably harder. And spoiling things is what I'm trying to avoid most. I will just try to go back and get some notes down today so I'm more prepared than last time. Also I hope to talk less, I fast forwarded four times randomly through the podcast and I was talking all 4 times, and it made me cringe a little lol.. Also I will use my camera this time so hopefully it will help with the cadence of part 2. 

4 hours ago, drpuffnstuff said:

In part one I was catching up on the last little bit, I was only able to skim through 30or 40 pages before last Friday. I remembered most of it pretty well, but on the reread I found Inrau's little section to be pretty intense. Wish I would have talked more about that in part 1.. and I came across a really good quote that reminded me of why I like the tv show The Boys. One day I will read the comics. I will put it behind a spoiler though I don't really think it is.

Reveal hidden contents

Also I've finished part 2 and I'm going to try to hold off from part 3 until tomorrow. This being a reread its already hard for me to hold the spoilers. I think if more of it becomes to fresh in my mind it will just be invariably harder. And spoiling things is what I'm trying to avoid most. I will just try to go back and get some notes down today so I'm more prepared than last time. Also I hope to talk less, I fast forwarded four times randomly through the podcast and I was talking all 4 times, and it made me cringe a little lol.. Also I will use my camera this time so hopefully it will help with the cadence of part 2. 

We can revisit Part I to start and talk about it! And I don't think you talked very much at all lol. With only three of us we have plenty of room and we want you to talk 😎

Steve IRL

17 hours ago, drpuffnstuff said:

thesynthesefullupscale.thumb.png.2c59c97598c330874848049c41125de6.png

I made this in an AI art creator called Midjourney. I tried to make Akka and Cnaiur as well, but they didnt come out quite as good as this.

Wow that’s really cool

Steve IRL

On 8/6/2022 at 5:53 AM, drpuffnstuff said:

I made this in an AI art creator called Midjourney. I tried to make Akka and Cnaiur as well, but they didnt come out quite as good as this.

It's not exactly how I imagined the Synthese but I like the vibe it gives off!

On 8/5/2022 at 9:53 PM, drpuffnstuff said:

That’s sick! Have you done many of these?

50 minutes ago, MarkM said:

That’s sick! Have you done many of these?

I've only tried it a little.. A few RSB related things. Some trippy sci fi stuff. Its pretty easy to do actually. I think you get to make 25 prompts for free, and then you can sign up if you like it...