Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello,  

Desperately seeking Susan, I mean beta readers.
I have written a novel.  It is dystopia but with fantasy vibes. It is the first part of a duology (half of part 2 is written).  

The Healer...

  • PROS: Alien prophecy, Kick ass assassin, Alien human half breeds. Hyper evolution, bit of politics and a couple of twisty turny twists.
  • CONS: I would like feedback by end of the year if possible or at most the end of Jan. I want to get a copy edit early next year so want the story nailed before then.

This is my first ever novel so I have no idea what I am doing. It has been read by my mum, my boss, an English teacher and one other author.
All agree it is pretty good so I am not just inflicting rubbish on you.

Anyone interested?
Please?

Go on, I'll be your best friend 😻

 

Sample
Her attacker was too fast, and she knew it, so close and she was about to lose it all.
She fumbled with trembling fingers trying to pull the knife from its sheaf, then with a soft ‘thunk’, a head landed on the floor beside her.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

About 350. 

98k words

Sorry I always think of pages when authors think of words. I'm no expert and not the sharpest crayon in the box but I can take a peek at it and send some feedback your way before January


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve said:

Sorry I always think of pages when authors think of words. I'm no expert and not the sharpest crayon in the box but I can take a peek at it and send some feedback your way before January

I have messaged you to find out what the best way to get the book to you is, and thank you. I appreciate ut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2022 at 2:58 PM, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

I have messaged you to find out what the best way to get the book to you is, and thank you. I appreciate ut.

Looking forward to it!


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @A_FROG_IN_TIME, firstly many congratulations on completing your first novel! Yes I am interested. 

One question: Is there a lot of graphic violence in the novel?

(it is just something for which my threshold is low so I may not be the best person to read it then)

A little about me as a reader (to perhaps help judge if my feedback would at all be useful):

I am just a general reader, no expertise, like reading and discussing books. My favourite dystopian novel is probably Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler and my favourite SF novel is a tie between Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I also have liked Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro among dystopian novels. I read a lot more fantasy than SF - my favourite works are LOTR, Gormenghast, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I am also a fan of the Kingkiller Chronicle.

I prioritise writing = characterisation > plot > themes > worldbuilding.

A little about the feedback I may be able to give:

Usually more big picture feedback e.g. "the writing worked really well for me, Chapter x could perhaps be edited down for clarity, I really liked the character y, The plot point z was unclear to me until Page xxx, " and so on. 

 

If all this sounds like a good fit, I'd be happy to read and share some feedback before January. (Pro: I am a fastish reader, Con: I skim action scenes 🤭)

Edited by Paromita Mukherjee
Tagged recipient

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paromita Mukherjee said:

Hello @A_FROG_IN_TIME, firstly many congratulations on completing your first novel! Yes I am interested. 

One question: Is there a lot of graphic violence in the novel?

(it is just something for which my threshold is low so I may not be the best person to read it then)

A little about me as a reader (to perhaps help judge if my feedback would at all be useful):

I am just a general reader, no expertise, like reading and discussing books. My favourite dystopian novel is probably Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler and my favourite SF novel is a tie between Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I also have liked Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro among dystopian novels. I read a lot more fantasy than SF - my favourite works are LOTR, Gormenghast, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I am also a fan of the Kingkiller Chronicle.

I prioritise writing = characterisation > plot > themes > worldbuilding.

A little about the feedback I may be able to give:

Usually more big picture feedback e.g. "the writing worked really well for me, Chapter x could perhaps be edited down for clarity, I really liked the character y, The plot point z was unclear to me until Page xxx, " and so on. 

 

If all this sounds like a good fit, I'd be happy to read and share some feedback before January. (Pro: I am a fastish reader, Con: I skim action scenes 🤭)

Hi @Paromita Mukherjee, I would be happy for you to read my book. There is violence in the book but I do not think it is overly graphic. It is a tough world I have created and survival outside of the big cities is difficult. 

Happy if you read  what you want comment on as much ad you like. 

I can email over a pdf if you want to message me your email address.

LOTR is my favourite book ever. Mine is nothing like it though. I am planning to build on this world to write some pure fantasy set way in the future from the events in The Healer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

Hi @Paromita Mukherjee, I would be happy for you to read my book. There is violence in the book but I do not think it is overly graphic. It is a tough world I have created and survival outside of the big cities is difficult. 

Happy if you read  what you want comment on as much ad you like. 

I can email over a pdf if you want to message me your email address.

LOTR is my favourite book ever. Mine is nothing like it though. I am planning to build on this world to write some pure fantasy set way in the future from the events in The Healer

 

Message sent!

So nice to hear from a fellow LOTR fan 👋.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

You are a legend Sir 😁

Wrapped up The Monsters We Feed and starting now 


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steve said:

I'm about %7 in or so. It's nothing crazy, and the stuff I have written down I may not even be right about.

Not much has happened yet then 😁
It's all good feedback, whether I agree and make changes or not. 
My plan is to compare the feed back from each person. Any bits everyone mentions, needs changing, then going down in the number of mentions I will decide if I agree with the comments and can do something about it or not.
Seemed like the logical approach.
One thing I should say is don't get too hung up on spelling, I have been speaking to a nice lady in Canada about professionally editing it. If they are good, then I will post the company on here for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

Not much has happened yet then 😁
It's all good feedback, whether I agree and make changes or not. 
My plan is to compare the feed back from each person. Any bits everyone mentions, needs changing, then going down in the number of mentions I will decide if I agree with the comments and can do something about it or not.
Seemed like the logical approach.
One thing I should say is don't get too hung up on spelling, I have been speaking to a nice lady in Canada about professionally editing it. If they are good, then I will post the company on here for others.

I will say I'm enjoying the setup so far! Once I get settled in and get this video recorded I'll send over some screenshots. Was a busier day at work so I didn't get to the 10% I was shooting for


Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:


If anyone wants to beta read this there is still time.
If you can fit in a read between now and the end of Feb (yes I am already pushing my own deadlines). 
Even if you cannot finish, any feedback you can chuck me would be appreciated.

 

Thanks

I think I can manage to finish 350 pages before Feb. I would love to beta read your book. I must mention though that this would be my first beta read, so it may not be very helpful for you.


► ● Booktube   Goodreads ● Twitter Email

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Varsha said:

I think I can manage to finish 350 pages before Feb. I would love to beta read your book. I must mention though that this would be my first beta read, so it may not be very helpful for you.

Thank you Varsha,

I have never written a book before so we are both learning.
Some bits to know about the book. It is the first part of a duology, you are under no compulsion to read the second book or finish this one.
Read as much as you want to. If it is not for you then just let me know with any feed back you are prepared to give.
Feedback anything that works or does not work for you, there is no bad feedback. 

Finally, if you want to message me an email address and a preferred format, I will send you a copy. I can do word, epub or pdf easily. Other formats I may have to look into.

PDF can be imported onto a kindle, if that helps.
This is before I send it off to a professional editor for spelling and Grammar, so expect spelling and grammar mistakes!
Once again 
Thank you for helping me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...