Steve

How does the Writers Battle work?

What is a writers battle, how does it work and how do people join?

Edit:

Writers: @Layla Azmi Goushey @NCKoussis @A_FROG_IN_TIME @Thomas

Judges: @Layla Azmi Goushey (if possible to do both) @arettger22 @Steve (if needed)

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

29 minutes ago, Steve said:

What is a writers battle, how does it work and how do people join?

I posted this in the members chat, but I'll post it here to give some ideas.

How it is run in the Grimdark Facebook group that I am apart of is that there are contestants and a panel of judges. The "battle" goes year long and every month authors submit their stories based on an image or a prompt. The judges then read the story and a score out of 5 for each of the following categories. Originality, Grimdarkness, how well the prompt was used, and overall writing. The person with the most points at the end of the year wins! I like it because there are no eliminations, so if you struggle with one prompt you can make up for it with another one

12 minutes ago, arettger22 said:

How it is run in the Grimdark Facebook group that I am apart of is that there are contestants and a panel of judges. The "battle" goes year long and every month authors submit their stories based on an image or a prompt. The judges then read the story and a score out of 5 for each of the following categories. Originality, Grimdarkness, how well the prompt was used, and overall writing. The person with the most points at the end of the year wins! I like it because there are no eliminations, so if you struggle with one prompt you can make up for it with another one

That sounds like a lot of fun! Can anyone read the monthly stories or only the judges?

6 hours ago, arettger22 said:

That's pretty neat!

So it looks like we need volunteers to submit stories and judges to get it started.

Typically how many judges are there?

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

57 minutes ago, Steve said:

That's pretty neat!

So it looks like we need volunteers to submit stories and judges to get it started.

Typically how many judges are there?

I think there are 3 judges and 10 contestants in the group. I’m not a judge so I can’t speak as to how that is organized, (probably just take the average from each judge’s scorecard for the overall score for each story). And I’d like to commit to being a judge! Idk if I could commit to writing a short story on top of all my other works but reading should be fine!

So to answer a few questions I see (at least as to how it works in the facebook group I am in), The stories are generally pretty short maybe hovering around that 1000 - 3000 words. I'm not sure if we can have writers be judges as well as it would be hard to maintain unbiased judging that way.

Here are some rules from the group @arettger22 was in:

Writer’s Battle Rules

This is a friendly writing competition that will pit authors against each other. At the start of every month, you will be supplied a prompt (either an image, text, or video) and you will have to come up with an entirely original story based on the prompt. Each judge will rate your story out of five based on four categories. Then, once all judges have submitted their scores, the average of each category will be taken and that will be your “total” score for the month. At the start of a new month, a new prompt will be released and you will have a chance to add to your “total” points. The writer with the most points at the end of the year (or contest period) is declared the winner!

Rules are as follows:

1. Please aim to have the stories fall within the 1000-3000 word count

2. The four categories are:

1. Originality

2. Genre?

3. How well the prompt is used

4. Overall writing and structure

3. Submissions must be in by the last day of the month by 11:59:59PM CST

Please submit your stories in .DOC or .DOCX format… Also, not sure what your thoughts are on submitting the stories. The FB group just has the writer’s e-mail the judges but it’d be cool if we can figure out a way so that people can read the stories on the forum who aren’t competing in the contest.

I'm thinking instead of submitting stories via email we could have a private section for submissions instead or another process to submit.

Steve IRL

I added a Writers Battle Club, please join if you're interested. There we can submit files and images, that might be a good way to keep everything organized. Google Docs is always a good option, too.

Steve IRL