arettger22

January Prompt!

Hey everyone, 

I decided to start the writer’s battle with a visual prompt! I decided to use the painting “Jotun” by Adam Burke. You’re free to interpret it however you like and use it to craft your stories! I wish you all the best of luck, and feel free to post your responses below or attach it to your comment in a DOC file. Best of luck this month!!

70D6631F-4C98-4483-8DAE-39B89FF9207B.jpeg

I is new to the forum and just have to give this a go if y'all don't mind having me. Just started a little while ago and have about eight hundred words so far. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow and let it go, all going well. I'm sure you all will blow me out of the water but what the heck? It's the fun of it all that counts.

7 hours ago, Karl said:

I is new to the forum and just have to give this a go if y'all don't mind having me. Just started a little while ago and have about eight hundred words so far. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow and let it go, all going well. I'm sure you all will blow me out of the water but what the heck? It's the fun of it all that counts.

Nothing like tight deadline to get the creative juices flowing 😄

21 hours ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

Getting close to submission time. 

How is everyone feeling? Mine is finished, but I am having an imposter syndrome attack and don't want to publish first!

I'm still working on mine. Pretty much my first attempt at writing, so I'm honestly not sure I'll be able to bring it to a point where I won't feel completely stupid for submitting, but I'm going to try :)  Are we targeting Jan 31st as the deadline?

► ● Booktube   Goodreads ● Twitter Email

8 minutes ago, Varsha said:

I'm still working on mine. Pretty much my first attempt at writing, so I'm honestly not sure I'll be able to bring it to a point where I won't feel completely stupid for submitting, but I'm going to try :)  Are we targeting Jan 31st as the deadline?

From what I understand looking at tweets from other writers, and my own feelings, then crippling self doubt about what you have created is normal for any author. 
I know my grammatical ability sucks and I am trying a style I have never tried before, so expecting to be bottom of the list. 
I had fun writing it though and that will be enough for me 😃

2 hours ago, Varsha said:

As long as you have fun writing it, that's the important part!

18 minutes ago, Holly Tinsley said:

As a writer, I can honestly say my imposter syndrome has imposter syndrome, it's so bad! But shifting out of your comfort zone can only help your writing grow. Just enjoy it and see where your creative flow takes you. I'm looking forward to reading all of them! 

Wise words Holly. I enjoy writing more than the thought of eventually publishing, but I will publish, hopefully at the end of the year. Despite my doubts about ability and negative feedback from the  two members of the wider general public who make the foolish mistake of buying my book.
Why? because I have been sitting in my comfort zone for about 20years and I am bored of it.
Also because I was getting so many book ideas I was struggling to sleep!

2 hours ago, Layla Azmi Goushey said:

Where do we post our story?  I thought I saw one of them but now I can't find it. (Edit: I just found the location in FILES).  I'll post mine over the weekend.  🙂

I spent some time looking around last night to preemptively figure out how to upload mine. I was also about ready to make a post asking how, haha

People wondering where to post your stories, if you have not already worked it out. 

Karl and myself have both posted here by the look of it.

image.thumb.png.d3aecf7769384d655ab623fe511f4bbe.png
Not sure if that was where the judges were expecting it to go or if they wanted it attached to a post in the January Prompt topic. 
Are we all happy with this for now?

40 minutes ago, A_FROG_IN_TIME said:

People wondering where to post your stories, if you have not already worked it out. 

Karl and myself have both posted here by the look of it.

image.thumb.png.d3aecf7769384d655ab623fe511f4bbe.png
Not sure if that was where the judges were expecting it to go or if they wanted it attached to a post in the January Prompt topic. 
Are we all happy with this for now?

Ha, didn't realize there were two ways of doing it. This is the route I was assuming to go with, but I just realized we can add attachments to posts in the thread.

I should be uploading mine tonight. Just want to give it a once over and make a few tweaks here and there. And I apologize in advance, I'm really pushing the word count here, started having fun with it and just kinda went with it. As I write this (before making changes and being entirely happy with the ending) I think I'm sitting around 2,997 words.

I'll be sure to do some shorter ones in the coming months, haha

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Ha, didn't realize there were two ways of doing it. This is the route I was assuming to go with, but I just realized we can add attachments to posts in the thread.

I should be uploading mine tonight. Just want to give it a once over and make a few tweaks here and there. And I apologize in advance, I'm really pushing the word count here, started having fun with it and just kinda went with it. As I write this (before making changes and being entirely happy with the ending) I think I'm sitting around 2,997 words.

I'll be sure to do some shorter ones in the coming months, haha

About 4 words longer than mine 🤣

4 hours ago, Layla Azmi Goushey said:

I just posted mine.  It's all in fun. What I'm most excited about is the challenge to myself to write at least one short story per month. I have a lot of ideas but I work best when I have deadlines.  I look forward to reading everyone's' stories! 🙂

and it is really cool 😁