Sign in to follow this  
Steve

The White-Luck Warrior

Picture posted by @Drew of his monthly Kickstarter gift box. While I haven't read Brandon Sanderson, this quote reminds me (surprise, surprise) of R.Scott Bakker, the questions and mysteries inside his books, and Outside.
What has come before ... ' (thankfully this time at the start of the book) is just an 8 page summary, but clarified so much after the 2549 pages before.

The White-Luck Warrior, chapters 1-3 quotes and spoilers:

Spoiler

"Mimara finds herself staring at her Chorae. It is an abomination in her sorcerous eyes, yet she persists gazing. The Judging Eye opens, and the thing is miraculously transformed. Suddenly she sees it for what it truly is: a white burning Tear of God."
"Maithanet reminds (Esmenet) that the Gods can see neither the No-God nor the coming Apocalypse and so perceive her husband as a threat instead of a saviour."
"He would be imprisoned for his impious accuracy."
"Few passions require quite so much certainty as spite."
“Ever are Men stranded on the surface of things. And ever do they confuse what they see with the sum of what matters. Ever do they forget the rank insignificance of the visible. And when they do honour the beyond—the beneath—they render it according to what is familiar … They disfigure it for comfort’s sake.”
"He had sat there and watched a boy murdered in the name of his lie … The lie of a Wizard who had made benjuka pieces out of men."
Mimara "much preferred those who sinned with sincerity."
"What was one step?"

@Katrina, have you just taken the first step over to Team Saubon and full Proyas-level devotion? 😜
Death comes spiraling down, but in the Aspect-Emperor so far, if memory serves, not in those words.
Cleric and the Captain, "—one unearthly, the other not quite sane." What do they talk about privately?
The Gangan-naru, the parching wind. Another march into a desert of doom?
Excellent question you pose, what are the side effects of Qirri, on dreams, addiction? Everything has a price, especially in this world.

Thanks @Katerina, @Steve and @drpuffnstuff for your kind replies and mentions. Sharing along has been very helpful and fun.

F6695C4C-CEAC-4024-8793-BA14BFF4C5EF.jpeg.e48cfa7765d8b7cb355ecd19b79c7231.jpeg

On 1/13/2023 at 3:01 PM, Steve said:

Chapters 3-6 Meetup:

"

Spoiler

"If you find yourself taken unawares by someone you thought you knew, recall that the character revealed is as much your own as otherwise. When it comes to Men and their myriad, mercenary natures, revelation always comes in twos." —MANAGORAS, ODE TO THE LONG-LIVED FOOL
"Commitments required trust, and trust required demonstrations."
"“You’ve never stopped loving her,” Achamian said. “You wouldn’t care to hate her otherwise.”"
"“But nothing,” he said. “Far too many of us confuse complexity for impurity—or even pollution.""
The Andiamine Heights, "A prison. A carnival. And a temple, a temple most of all. One where sins were counted according to harms endured rather than inflicted."
"The world was filled with self-made martyrs."
"Our words always paint two portraits when we describe our families to others. Outsiders cannot but see the small peeves and follies that wrinkle our relationships with our loved ones. The claims we make in defensive certainty—that we were the one wronged, that we were the one who wanted the best—cannot but fall on skeptical ears since everyone but everyone makes the same claims of virtue and innocence. We are always more than we want to be in the eyes of others simply because we are blind to the bulk of what we are. Kellhus had taught him that."

Esmenet slaps her son for saying in public what she's thinking privately about Maithenet.
Free wiil. Asserting oneself in denial of another may feel like independence, but if all one does is says no that isn't freedom.

"Revelations," in pairs. --- @Steve
"Action and introspection." --- @drpuffnstuff
"The more I read, the less I know." -- @Katerina

32 minutes ago, Frank said:

"

Reveal hidden contents

"Revelations," in pairs. --- @Steve
"Action and introspection." --- @drpuffnstuff
"The more I read, the less I know." -- @Katerina

Hahaha that cracked me up. "The more I read, the less I know" is the story of my life.

Meetup for 7 - 9

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero